With home gyms on the rise, you may be looking into the benefits of home workouts or considering adding smart equipment to your current setup.
Popular smart exercise machines include treadmills, ellipticals, and stationary bikes, as well as complete home gyms and workout mirrors. You can also find smart kettlebells, jump ropes, and boxing systems.
Most smart fitness gear is equipped with a display screen and connects to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and personal devices. The equipment links to a compatible app that provides tutorials, customized training, and live and on-demand workouts.
Smart features may improve your fitness level, encourage motivation, and motivate you to meet your fitness goals. You can use the app to set goals, correct your form, and track your progress. Fitness apps may provide workout metrics such as distance, heart rate, and calories burned.
If you’re thinking about adding smart equipment to your home gym, continue reading. We’ve compiled a list of some of the best smart fitness equipment so you can check out your options.
We considered the following criteria to create this list:
- Strong brand reputation. We selected smart gym equipment from companies offering excellent customer service, high quality products, and good return policies.
- Company website. We looked for brands with user-friendly websites providing detailed product information and customer reviews that are easy to sort and search through.
- Customer reviews. We included smart equipment with mostly positive reviews related to quality, longevity, and safety concerns.
- App and training options. The equipment connects to an app that offers fitness metrics, a variety of workouts, and customized training options.
- Features. We looked for smart exercise gear with useful features like heart rate monitors, cameras, and Bluetooth connectivity. Some equipment includes fans, speakers, and movement sensors.
- Price. We selected smart equipment that offers good value for the cost and suits a range of budgets.
- Vetting. All the products included have been vetted to ensure they meet Healthline’s medical and business standards.
Here are the 7 best smart home gym equipment items of 2021.
Best smart bike
- Compatible app: Peloton
- Size: 59 × 22 × 59 inches (150 × 56 × 150 cm)
- Resistance levels: 100
- Special features: Bluetooth connectivity, speakers, microphone, camera
- Warranty: 1-year limited parts and labor warranty
- Pros: vast collection of workouts, rotating 24-inch (61-cm) HD touchscreen, durable
- Cons: short warranty, requires Delta-compatible cleats
The Peloton Bike+ is a top-of-the-line stationary bike that offers engaging live and on-demand classes. It’s equipped with an adjustable 24-inch (61-cm) HD touchscreen that swivels for easy viewing during off-bike workouts, such as yoga, barre, or cross-training.
You can use the Peloton app to access the extensive workout library and connect to the online community, where you can compete against other members.
Plus, you’ll receive performance tracking and detailed metrics, such as cadence, resistance, and energy output. The Peloton All-Access Membership costs $39 a month and allows you to create unlimited user profiles.
If you install the Peloton app on your phone or tablet, you can still access the collection of fitness classes. However, you’ll have limited access to the leaderboard, the rider community, and workout metrics.
The Peloton Digital Membership costs $12.99 for a single profile.
One thing to keep in mind is the Peloton Bike+ has Delta-compatible aluminum pedals, so you’ll need Delta-compatible cleats — or you can attach toe cages to the pedals.
Best smart rowing machine
- Pros: adjustable 22-inch (56-cm) HD touchscreen, comfortable seat, automatic resistance adjustment
- Cons: lower 250-pound (113-kg) weight limit
- Compatible app: iFit
- Size: 86.5 x 22 x 50.4 inches (220 x 58 x 128 cm)
- Resistance levels: 26
- Special features: speakers, Bluetooth headphone connectivity, foldable design
- Warranty: 10-year frame, 2-year parts, 1-year labor
The NordicTrack RW900 rower is equipped with an adjustable 22-inch (56-cm) HD touchscreen and comes with 30 built-in workouts. It operates using manual air and magnetic resistance, which ensures a smooth, quiet workout.
Trainers can automatically adjust the 26 resistance during classes, or you can do it manually. The vertically foldable design saves space and has transport wheels that make it easy to move.
Purchase of the NordicTrack RW900 includes a 1-year family membership to the iFit app, which allows you to access live studio and on-demand classes. Once your trial ends, you can renew your membership for $39 per month.
Best smart treadmill
- Pros: 22-inch (56-cm) HD touchscreen, automatic trainer control, wireless heart rate monitoring
- Cons: heavy design is difficult to move
- Compatible app: iFit
- Size: 79.5 × 39.2 × 66.6 inches (202 × 100 × 169 cm)
- Max speed: 12 miles (19 km) per hour
- Incline: -3–15%
- Special features: speakers, cushioned deck, Bluetooth connectivity, three fans
- Warranty: 10-year frame, 2-year parts, 1-year labor
The NordicTrack Commercial 2950 comes with 40 built-in workouts and is equipped with a 22-inch (56-cm) HD touchscreen, speakers, and Bluetooth connectivity.
What’s more, your speed and incline automatically adjust to match those of your trainer during live workouts.
The powerful, sturdy design supports intense workouts, while the cushioned deck absorbs sound and reduces the impact on your joints. The Commercial 2950 is foldable, though it’s too heavy and bulky to move regularly.
Purchase of the NordicTrack Commercial 2950 treadmill includes a 1-year iFit family membership, so you can access live and on-demand fitness classes. After the initial year, you can renew your subscription for $39 per month.
Best smart elliptical machine
- Pros: 10-inch (25-cm) HD touchscreen, compact frame, combines elliptical and stair-climber
- Cons: short warranty, only includes 4 built-in workouts
- Compatible app: JRNY
- Size: 49.2 x 30.5 x 65 inches (125 x 77 x 165 cm)
- Resistance levels: 20
- Special features: multi-grip handlebars monitor heart rate, Bluetooth speakers, oversized pedals
- Warranty: 3-year parts, 90-day labor
The Bowflex Max Trainer M9 is a hybrid design that combines an elliptical trainer and stair-climber into one compact machine.
The vertical movements save on space and allow you to target more upper-body muscles than standard ellipticals.
The M9 provides a full-body workout, which is ideal for people who want an intense yet low impact workout.
It features a 10-inch (25-cm) HD touchscreen, Bluetooth speakers, and multi-grip handlebars that monitor your heart rate.
Plus, it comes with a heart rate armband and four built-in workouts — stair climbing, fat burning, calorie burning, and manual mode.
Purchase of the Bowflex Max Trainer M9 includes a 6-month free trial to the JRNY app. After the trial period, membership costs $19.99 per month.
JRNY allows you to track metrics, access personal coaching, and view trainer-led videos. The app also lets you stream Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+ accounts, so you can watch your favorite shows during workouts.
Best smart boxing gym
- Pros: comes with punch trackers, boxing gloves, and punching bag
- Cons: FightCamp app is only available for Apple devices, doesn’t come with a display screen
- Compatible app: FightCamp
- Space needed: 8 x 4 foot (244 x 122 cm) area
- Special features: sensors that track metrics, classes from real-life boxers
- Warranty: 1-year warranty
FightCamp is a smart boxing system that comes with a workout mat, a freestanding punching bag, and boxing gloves. It also includes quick wraps and a bag ring.
The gloves feature sensors that track how hard you hit, your punch count, and your punch rate per minute. The system also records your speed, intensity, and technique to see how you compare with the competition.
FightCamp offers guided boxing classes from real-life boxers.
Workouts include a mix of punches, defensive moves, and bodyweight exercises. High intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts and tutorials are also available.
The system doesn’t have a display screen, so you’ll need to use a smart TV or tablet to view the classes. You can stream to your Apple TV through AirPlay or connect to a smart TV with a lightning cable.
Membership to the FightCamp app costs $39 per month and is only available on iOS operating systems.
Best smart home gym
- Pros: 42-inch (107-cm) touchscreen display, wide variety of classes, high quality accessories
- Cons: requires strong internet connection, sensors don’t always track every rep
- Compatible app: Tempo Fit
- Size: 26 x 16 x 72 inches (66 x 41 x 183 cm)
- Space requirement: 6 x 8 foot (183 x 244 cm) area
- Special features: speakers, Bluetooth connectivity, 3-D sensors that monitor your form
- Warranty: 3-year cabinet, barbell, collar, and weights; 1-year labor, installation, interactive display, and accessories
The Tempo Studio is an A-frame workout mirror featuring a 42-inch (107-cm) touchscreen display, Bluetooth-enabled speakers, and 3-D sensors that monitor your form and provide feedback cues. It also provides individual instruction coaches and in-depth performance tracking.
The system offers a wide variety of classes, making it ideal for people who plan to share it with their household members.
The Tempo Studio comes in three bundle options, which include premium accessories and equipment like a workout mat, weight plates, and dumbbells.
The upgraded bundles offer equipment such as a squat rack, a kettlebell system, and competition plates. Additional equipment includes a barbell, folding bench, and heart rate monitor.
The Tempo Fit app allows you to create custom routines and access live and on-demand classes. Subscription costs $39 per month and requires a 12-month commitment.
Best smart mirror
- Pros: 24-inch (61-cm) interactive screen, compact design, allows unlimited accounts
- Cons: requires professional installation, noisy, no live classes
- Compatible app: Tonal
- Size: 21.5 x 51 x 5.25 inches (55 x 130 x 13 cm)
- Space requirement: 7 x 7 foot (213 x 213 cm) area
- Minimum ceiling height: 7’10” (240 cm)
- Resistance: 200 pounds (91 kg)
- Special features: speakers, form feedback, Bluetooth connectivity
- Warranty: 1-year labor, 3-year parts
Tonal is a wall-mounted home gym system. It’s equipped with a 24-inch (61-cm) interactive screen and two adjustable, electromagnetic pulleys offering up to 200 pounds (91 kg) of digital resistance.
You have the option to purchase smart accessories, such as a bar, handles, and workout bench.
Tonal is ideal for heavy weightlifters and people who want to improve their speed, strength, and athletic performance. The system features sensors that provide accurate feedback on your form, positioning, and range of motion.
The Tonal app includes hundreds of trainer-led workouts, plus you can design routines. However, there are no live classes.
Access to the Tonal app costs $49 per month and is required for the first year.