eSPORTS AT UNO: An eSports Café has opened in the Recreation & Fitness Center at the University of New Orleans with an array of PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles. UNO is planning for eventual intramural, club and varsity teams. Through Oct. 15, the eSports Café has a free trial period for students and employees.
POST-HURRICANE IDA DIY: Nunez Community College is offering several workshops to help people working to recover from Hurricane Ida. Scheduled classes include:
- Flooring 101, from 9 a.m. to noon Oct. 23. CRN 10574 is free.
- Tiling and backsplash 101: from 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 6. CRN 10565 is free.
- Painting 101: from 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 13. CRN 10580 is free.
- Ceiling fans and other fixtures: from 9 a.m. to noon Nov. 20. CRN 10582 is free.
To register, visit nunez.edu/workforce/how-to-register.
PELICAN LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE: At Nunez Community College, the Pelican Leadership Institute professional development series will begin Oct. 15. The seminars, led by Scott Walker, are designed to help participants stay up-to-date and advance their careers. Professionals from the community are invited to participate free. The fall 2021 series will focus on professional communications, and the spring 2022 series will focus on diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace. Fall seminars will be from 11 a.m. to noon Oct. 15, Oct. 29, Nov. 5 and Nov. 19. To register, visit nunez.edu and click on the PLI banner.
DELGADO COMMUNITY COLLEGE: Delgado Community College is offering 135 full-credit classes lasting four to eight weeks. A session of four-week classes will run from Oct. 25 to Nov. 16. Eight-week classes begin Oct. 13 and end Dec. 13. There is no application fee. Qualifying students may be able to receive financial assistance. For details, visit dcc.edu or call (504) 671-5012.
NUNEZ COMMUNITY COLLEGE: The STEAM division of Nunez Community College has rescheduled workshops for various ages this fall. To sign up, go to nunez.edu/workforce/how-to-register and use the CRNs listed below. For more information, contact STEAM director Julie Rexford at (504) 278-6427 or [email protected] The classes are:
- “Introduction to Robotics” for grades six through eight from 9 a.m. to noon Oct. 9. The cost for CRN 10554 is $25.
- Forklift certification training for adults from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 16. The cost for CRN 10553 is $100.